Sunday, March 20, 2011

Charity Begins At Home

   A local charity office realized that it had never received a donation from the town's most successful lawyer. The person in charge of contributions called him to persuade him to contribute. "Our research shows that out of a yearly income of at least $500,000, you give not a penny to charity. Wouldn't you like to give back to the community in some way?"

   The lawyer mulled this over for a moment and replied, "First, did your research also show that my mother is dying after a long illness, and has medical bills that are several times her annual income?"
 

   Embarrassed, the rep mumbled, "Um...no."
 

   "Or that my brother, a disabled veteran, is blind and confined to a wheelchair?"
 

   The stricken rep began to stammer out an apology but was interrupted, "Or that my sister's husband died in a traffic accident," the lawyer's voice rising in indignation, "leaving her penniless with three children?!"
 

   The humiliated rep, completely beaten, said simply, "I had no idea..."
 

   On a roll, the lawyer cut him off once again: "And if I don't give them a penny, why should I give any to you?!?" 

I love lawyer jokes. My best friend is one.

No comments:

Post a Comment